Friday, February 24, 2006

Seeing Red

Let's be honest about this right now, I have nothing to post here today. Except this ...

Last night, in my late-night slumber, I had a dream I was in Nebraska. I was at Memorial Stadium although it appeared we were there for a basketball game. Still, I heard the music of the Tunnel Walk and ... well that's the dream. Lame, I know.

Anyway, I slip on by huskers.com every so often and, out of nowhere, baseball season has started in the NCAA. Yikes.

I'm sitting up here cupping my pint glass with wool mittens in -30 C weather and Joba Chamberlain and the rest of the boys in red are playing pepper games and gnawing on Big League Chew. I know I've been there twice before, but where in the hell is Nebraska? Ball season? Really?

Joba is pronounced Jaw-buh, by the way, and the righty hurler is part of the Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska. I have nothing to say here except to mention I'm fully on board with this.

Anyway, it's a good feeling, you know, to know that there is some baseball going on and that somewhere on this continent snow and ice is replaced with grass and redsand. Don't get me wrong, I love my winter wonderland that is southern Manitoba — makes you appreciate the spring when it comes — but I certainly wouldn't be against trading my mittens in for shortpants and shades, a Kahlua and hot chocolate for a sweating bottle of Fort Garry Dark.

So kudos to the Big Red, they are once again a formidable foe for all comers who wish to challenge the juggernaut clad in scarlet. And, with all hopes, the No.7-ranked Huskers will be back in Omaha come June to take a run at the CWS.




Another note regarding the land of Lincoln, Neb.
The Powerball winner in this week's draw came in the form of eight meat-packing plant workers. Don't be surprised if Memorial Stadium has a new shine to its luxury boxes or a makeover to one of its facades in the coming months. Tickets are tough to come by but if some lottery winner who has spent his or her life dealing in Holsteins were to offer a friendly donation, I'm sure a couple of seats could be found.

That said, this story trumps it all.

No comments: